Your home improvement projects should not be limited to your indoor areas like bedroom, bathroom and living room. You should also invest a little time, effort and money on your outdoor spaces. After all, it’s the first thing that your neighbors would notice.
Contrary to popular belief, it’s not that complicated to create an attractive and lively outdoor space. You only need to do a couple of things and add a few furnishings here and there. Additionally, you should also think about adding more functionalities to your outdoor space.
Without further adieu, here is our list of the best ways you can make your yard or outdoor space look amazing.
Set up a comfy outdoor lounge
The easiest way you can utilize your available free space outdoors is to create a lounge. You will only need a few pieces of furniture and decors to create a lovely space where you can chill and relax. If you want to, you can also add a few bits of personal touches to your outdoor lounge. For example, you can:
- Put a small bookshelf where you can place all of your favorite titles.
- Hang framed photographs or inspiring quotations on the wall
- Create a personal wall where you paste your polaroid snaps from your latest travels
If you will build the lounge in a shaded patio, you won’t need to install a pergola or an outdoor umbrella. If you don’t have a patio, you can set up the lounge somewhere near the pool area or your garden.
Create a fine-looking fire pit area
Fire pits make a nice addition to any property. The best part is that you can use it any time of the year. Here are some of the best ways you can use a fire pit:
- You can host a glamping party and use the fire pit to make smore.
- During the autumn season, you can sit around the fire and drink beer.
- You can also use it to burn cedar and cypress chips to ward off bugs and critters
You can place a fire pit bowl or table some here in your backyard. You can even build a deck or install stamped concrete for additional charm. If you don’t like buying pre-made fire pits, you can make a fire pit table yourself. Choose fire resistant materials like fire brick or field stone. Also, don’t forget to check any local regulations before you build your own fire pit.
Build a sunroom
If you don’t like the idea of getting exposed to all the bugs and critters outdoors, you can resort to building a sunroom. You don’t have to tear up a wall or install another roofing structure just to create a sunroom. You can install it in your existing deck. When you build a sunroof, you should remember the following:
- Choose the most suitable window sizes and find the most ideal placements.
- Opt for an insulated glass window if you want to use the sunroom the whole year.
- Plan where to put the wirings and new power outlets.
- Replace the sub-flooring of your existing deck to mitigate early decomposition of your new flooring materials.
Create an outdoor kitchen and dining area
Having an outdoor kitchen and dining area can totally upgrade your house. These two additional structures can also help you host weekly outdoor parties easier. Imagine the convenience of having one place where you can entertain your guests and prepare their meals at the same time.
You don’t need to spend all of your saving to create a lovely outdoor kitchen and dining area. You start your project with modular cabinets and countertops. Once you have enough money for other furnishings, you can just install them wherever you need them to be. Consider building a roofing over the kitchen countertop and working stations to prevent damaging your appliances.
Show off your gardening skills
If you fancy growing flowering or fruit-bearing plants, you should consider creating a garden. If you want to start working on your garden, you need to think about the following:
- What type of plants do you want to grow?
- How big is your available working area?
- Do you have the equipment needed to prepare and the garden bed?
- What type of soild do you have in your garden?
You need to understand some basic gardening techniques and methods before you start with your project. Make sure to keep an eye on the seedlings once you have them transferred on the garden bed. Cultivate the soil, remove the weeds and water the seedlings as needed.
There are so many things you can do with your outdoor area. You can dine al fresco style by adding a few furnishings or create a jaw-dropping garden and landscaping. To know which home improvement idea suits you best, you should identify the main goals of your project.
How do you want to use the area? What activities do you want to do here? Alternatively, if you have a large space to work with, you can just use all of the tips above.